Wednesday 23 March 2016

"Colour"

I've got paintings in a new show called 'Colour' that's opening at the Lime Tree Gallery in Long Melford in Suffolk.  It opens with a preview on Saturday 9th April from 10am-5pm.

I'll be exhibiting alongside Pam Carter, Marion Thomson and Peter King, all Scottish artists well-known for their exciting and vibrant use of colour.

Yellow Flowers in Spring Sunshine, Bass Rock (Oil on linen, 32 x 32)

View the exhibition HERE. 

My contribution to the show is built around the colours of the seasons, and the way that the landscape changes with the different light, flowers and plants throughout the year.

For winter, I looked at the soft, subdued colours of Scotland during short days in cold weather. This painting is of Glen Lochy, which is on the A85 heading from Dalmally to Tyndrum.

Winter Colours, Glen Lochy (Oil on linen, 24 x 26)

In spring, the days lengthen and the colours sharpen, and for summer, I looked at the vibrant shades of seasonal flowers in bright sunlight.  I have paintings of the blue of fragile harebells on cliffs in Northern Ireland, and the pinks and purples of waxy rhododendrons in the country park near my studio and sweet peas in my studio garden.

Summer Sweet Peas (Oil on linen, 16 x 16)

Autumn is all burning reds and oranges in the landscape, and a changing kaleidoscope of colour in stormy seas under turbulent skies on the coast.  This is of the long, low, shingle shore at Aldeburgh, looking out across the North Sea under the huge sky.
 
Autumn Sea with Dark Clouds, Aldeburgh (Oil, 8 x 10)

Do come along to the preview and see the show if you're in the area!

If you'd like to receive a catalogue in the post, or emailed in PDF form, then please contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment