Saturday 6 February 2016

Life Drawings

Today I decided to do a bit of tidying, and to excavate into my pile of life drawings.

Having attended evening classes at Glasgow School of Art for over 25 years, 20 weeks a year, two evenings a week, plus various other classes throughout the year, I've built up quite a body of work. In fact, I calculate that it must be around twenty thousand drawings.

That's twenty.  Thousand. And I don't even paint figures for a living.  And that's not including all the lithographs, etchings, prints, ceramics, watercolours, textiles, collage work and ginormous sculptures that I've done.  Oh, and three and a half thousand oil paintings.

Luckily, the majority of them have ended up in a skip over the years, but here's a few to give you an idea.


Three of my favourite models - Krishinda, Elaine and Maggie - some sadly no longer with us.


Scotland's Most Wanted - sketches of two of my class-mates, whom I do actually recognise!


Maggie, Krishinda, and Maggie again.


Alan, and two of Maggie.

Henry Moore!  Elgin Marbles!!  
Actually it's a magnificent model called Camberley.

Peter in the middle, Maggie on the right.


Molly, the model above on the right, was eight months pregnant at the time.  The baby will be a teenager by now!!

I also found this, which is something I did at school back in 1974 (before I had to drop art for something much more practical, ie chemistry).  It's a picture of the sea breaking against cliffs, done with a roller, and with the paint made as thick as I could get the hopelessly thin, scratchy blocks of school poster paint to go.


Things don't change, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment