Wednesday 2 September 2015

Northern Ireland

Just back from my annual trip to Northern Ireland, to gather material for my forthcoming solo show in London in February next year.

As usual, the weather was wonderfully mixed - rainy one minute, glorious sun the next.  It made for some spectacular contrasts and amazing clouds in the sky.

Here's the coast at Rinagree, between Portstewart and Portrush.


The view across to Inishowen in Ireland.


From the Cliff Walk, Portstewart.


Walking down to the Giant's Causeway.


White Park Bay.


After a heavy shower of rain, the whole of the sea between Ballintoy and Rathlin Island suddenly lit up as a long, low rainbow.


The sight was so amazing and intense, that cars stop at the side of the road to look.  It looks very soft and unimpressive in photos, but in real life it was earily strange and beautiful, and very bright.  The sight of it dominated the landscape.


More tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Gosh that rainbow is stunning! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jess, it was just amazing to see it, and I've never seen anything like it.

    My photos aren't very good, as by the time I managed to get to a place where I could get my camera out and take a photo, it was already fading. But it was very strange and beautiful - hairs on the back of the neck stuff!

    ReplyDelete